Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Skate Wing for dinner! A delicious dish and overlooked fish.

I remember eating skate wing as a kid.  My mother used to get it at a Brooklyn fish market and I remember loving it.  I don't think I've seen it since and on Sunday at the Chester, CT farmer's market, we found some. Locally caught skate from Point Judith, RI. I couldn't wait to make this for Joe. Here is what I did with it for tonight's dinner:



 Skate Wing with Sweet pepper and Caper Sauce
For the fish:

One skate wing ( for 2 people)
Spelt flour
Pacific Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk
salt and pepper
2 tbsp canola oil

For the sauce:

2 sweet peppers
3 Roma tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 green chile
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
fresh parsley chopped
creamed organic honey
large capers
2 tbsp EVOO ( extra virgin olive oil)

Food process your peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chile and honey until mostly smooth. 

Dip the skate in almond milk and then dredge in flour. Salt and pepper should be added to flour before hand.  In a hot saute pan or skillet, pan fry your skate in the canola oil.  Make sure the oil is very hot and wait about 2 minutes before turning over your wing. Wait for the release of the fish from the pan. Lightly brown both sides ( about 5 min per side) and remove onto a clean plate. 

Make your sauce by heating your EVOO in a sauce pan. When hot, add  capers.  Add your food processed peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chile and honey. bring to a boil then add vinegar and boil for another 4  minutes.  Add fresh parsley and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for another 5 minutes. 

Plate your fish and spoon the sauce over the top. Totally delicious!!!!! I promise! Let me know how you like it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment